Friday 11 September 2009

Tuesday 1st September
So back at school today, my host mum drove me to and from school because it was very rainy, today was a pretty average day at school, other than opening ceremony, which then ment that the following 6 lessons were shortened to fit them all in by home time. Once home I did my last minute packing (eg packing my school uniform) befor playing a bit of Nintendo with Asa befor moving to my new host family.
Here I have a little sister haruki who is 4 a little brother yoshiki 7, parents, an aunty and Grandma. There isn’t actually a rotary member in this family however my host dad was an exchange student to new york in 1994. Granddad was a member of the rotary club befor he died 16 years ago.

Wednesday 2nd September
School thismorning, it takes me about 40 minutes to ride to school, and when I got there my legs were absolutely caning, the bike I have now is difrrent from the one I had last time I rode to school, its much older and isn’t geared,making it somewhat harder to ride. I had rotary today, so went to that where I got given my birthday present, which I haven’t yet opened, I have a small collection of things on my shelf now, which I'm not going to open until my birthday. And then I had to ride home… it got a little to hot, and I didn’t have a drink with me today so I stoped in at Aeon on the way home for a drink and to cool off a bit beofr continuing home. Once home I wraped the presents for my hosts, befor they all got home from work and school. Tonight with Obasan, okasan, Haruchan and yoshiki I went to Owara a really small town, near toyama for the dance festivle that was on there. We didn’t really get to see all that much, as most of the stuff was on a lot later than we could stay there with a 4 and 7 year old.

Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th September
School, Thursday was standard, Friday I had calligraphy in which we started designing our stamps, I cant remember the proper name for them, but like the stamp that we will use on our work in red ink to state that it is ours, and for this I had to use kanji so the first lesson (calligraphy is a double) was spent decided on kanji for my name, what we decided on is 赦寝 which means peacefull Friday afternoon I rode into the rain on the way home and actually only made it as far as the train station befor giving up leaving my bike there, amoung hundreds, mabey thousands of others for the weekend and ringing my host mum and asking her to come pick me up from there.
Saturday 5th September
Went to toyama today first of all to the wedding of my host parents friends then while okasan was at the reception papa, Haruchan, Yoshiki and I went out for lunch and to the science museum, there was a huge focus on the ecology of toyama prefecture, and the 4 noble prize winners that come from this area. As well as a few other really cool things, the one I found most intresting was the water harp purely coz I cant for the life of me figure out how it works. After that it was home to make a lot more origami… mostly shurikans, and balloons, they are the only things that haruki knows how to make, but Yoshiki and I did try some harder stuff as well. We had take out pizza tonight, which seamed very odd, I've had take out in japan befor, from the Chinese shop, where they dilvered it to us in proper dishes packed inside this special box, and when we were finished eating we put the dishes back in the box and outside and they would come back later to pick it up, take out pizza is just like in Aus, and the bases were thick like our pizzas to, most pizza over here is like on burritos.

Sunday 6th September
We had a really lovely breakfast out in the backyard this morning under a shade. And pretty much a lazy day really, as most of my host family were feeling unwell, this left me with a very energenic 7 year old to try and keep busy, and somewhat quiet.
Monday 7th September
School, because of the rain on Friday I was driven to the train station this morning and then I rode on to school, as usual when I am subjected to an English reading lesson I got absolutely enfuriated at the teacher, he refuses to listen to what I have to say, he askes me a question like to define words, but then he will change what I said, usully so it wrong when he repeats it to the class, I may have complained about my Japanese teacher back in Aus, I didn’t like the way he taught, but he with out a doubt knew his stuff, and I would much much rather that the English teachers here taught the way that he did and really knew their stuff. A lot of the teachers have one way of saying things and struggle to say things in other ways, some refuse to accept that there are multiple ways of saying things, and a lot of the time I cant even say what I would use, as one of my English teachers knows now, it depends on the context in which its used! Other teachers know that it is possible to say it multiple ways but struggle to know if the way that is being presented to them is correct if its not the way that seems most natural to them.

Tuesday 8th September
School again, and I'm actually really liking getting to school early these days, though as it starts to get much cooler I doubt that I will still be able to say that, not with riding to school, but I now do a lot of my Japanese study in the half an hour I have at school befor lessons start, which is great because it means I am carrying less books to and from school each day, but also because I'm not being distracted by haru and Yoshiki as I am trying to study. Though Yoshiki and I do often do some kanji study together of an afternoon. Not today however as very soon after I got home, we were out again, to drop haru and Yoshiki off at their other grandma’s place befor going out to dinner and then a tradition drama at the cultural hall opposite school, I understood hardly anything, then again neather did my host family or any of the Rotarians that we were sitting with, this was due to it being in old Japanese, kinda like Shakespearean is for us.
Wenesday 9th September
Our biol lesson today was intrupted by several of us noticing a fire near the school and our teacher making sure that the firebrigade had been notified, it looked really big, as we could see it over the top of another fairly tall building, yet I cant actually figure out where it actually was. I had rotary today, and a half day host, I must say probably the least interesting half day host yet, I do feel sorry for the ones I have now though, as there isn’t really much left in the local area that I haven’t done, and they all feel that they have to take me out to places, one of the half day hosts I've most enjoyed I went back to their house helped my host sister there do her English homework befor going and hanging out at the shops for a bit. Also I'm getting a bit sick of the obvisoul lack of people in our rotary club paying any attention to what I do at meatings, half of them, along with most Japanese still ask me if we have such and such in America, I feel like yelling at them when they ask me this, but then also the can you speak Japanese question, um hello, lets think about this I've been living here almost 8 months now, I get up infrount of all of you every month and do a 5-10 minute speech in Japanese about what I have done in the last month with no notes, but no I don’t think I can speak Japanese. Do you? There also seems to be a lot of ignorance and stupidity going round, I say we don’t eat fish very much in Australia, which compared to Japan is very true, somehow this always translated to their heads as I don’t like fish at all. Also when I said that my family doestngo fishing this apparently ment that no one does and that I would have never seen a fishing rod in my life. Ahh some people have a lot to learn don’t they. So today we went to a little fishing village, a coffee shop a picture book museum and then to dinner befor I got returned home at 7. Which I was good because I wsant really feeling the best so I went to bed fairly early.

No comments: