Tuesday 11 August 2009

Sunday 26th July
Spent most of the day today finishing off getting everything together for camp, went shopping with okasan and Yoshi to get a last few things, and do the groceries. I think we called Mutsuko, my host cousin and another 2nd year student at my school about 10 times to confirm what the sheet ment and what I did or didn’t need to take with on camp.

Monday 27th -> Wednesday 29th July – school camp
So the last 3 days saw all the 2nd year students head off on camp. Camp was in Nagano prefecture, which is to the east of Toyama prefecture. (the southern one of the two prefectures Toyama shares the eastern boarder with). So on Monday after several hours of driving we got off the busses into pouring rain for a 45 min walk up a hill through a forest to a shrine, and then another 45 minutes back, the weather wasn’t hot at all during camp, but I think that on this walk was the hottest I have felt this year, being that I had my raincoat on and the humidity and the exercise was just a bad mix. After some more driving we arrived at our camp site, but again the busses couldn’t get in there so we had to walk about a km into the camp carring all out stuff, not a bother to me as I had everything packed into my backpack.
This was actual tent camping, but all of our tents had already been set up for us. I was in a tent with 2 other girls from my class, and I must say the tents were rather small, I couldn’t lie straight the long way of the tent but as they were to narrow to sleep that way we had to sleep across the tent, and because of this I didn’t sleep very well either night at camp. The tents were pitched over thick foam boards, and that for the most part acted as our matterases, we were given 3 blankets, one under, one over and one as a pillow, well at least that’s how I used them. It was sooo cold up at camp, I had my jersey and a jumper on and was at times still cold. We in groups (about 7) had to cook our own meals over the fires, and again safety doesn’t really seem to be a big thing in Japan. Here are some cotton gloves for you to wear while playing with the fire, um no thanks, and I'm glad I didn’t, because even though it did mean I got a splinter, at least I didn’t burn my hands, I mean really lets put a flammable glove on our hands while playing with fire!
Monday night we had a bonfire, around which we had a few compertitions, class against class and then did some dance that I think about 5% of the grade actually knew but all good fun none the less.
Tuesday morning saw me making blueberry and rhubarb jams (2 separate jams not together) befor eating lunch and then going for a kayaking lesson. I while very much enjoyed being in a Kayak again and where we were was absolutely amazing one of the prettiest places I have been, it would rivel Miyajima island for the top of my list of Japanese pretty places. I was also very boared with the simplicity and speed of the lesson. But I do understand that It was the first time for a lot of the other students. Tuesday night I went to bed rediciliously early as there wasn’t any actual activity planed, it was very rainy and so our tents were really the only dry place to be.
Wednesday saw us leaving cooking and leaving the campsite in fairly heavy rain. We went into the town of Obuse, and wandered around in out tent groups for a while. I saw a Squrrile! And bought a miny toy one for my blazer! And then we got back on the bus and headed home.
My host aunty picked me up from school and took me home. Was nice to see her and hiroko one last time while I'm with my current family.

Thursday 30th and Friday 31st July – changing hosts

Thursday and Friday were spent packing, I absolutely hate packing! I'm not sure if I hate it coz I know ill just be unpacking it all again the following day or just because it is hard to fit everything into a suitcase a box and a backpack. Actually not that hard this time as I had just sent all my excess stuff home with mum and dad last week. Again I packed with my box being things that I don’t intend to return to Australia with and the stuff I want to take home in my suitcase, somehow It all fit in fairly easily and is JUST and I mean JUST under weight at the moment, so won’t be in 6 months time. Though I did have a fair amount of weight and space in what will effectively be my carry on luggage. Anyway I'm sure ill sort that out when the time comes. Thursday night my host family (minus yuka) went out to a yakiniku restaurant for dinner, which was really nice. Friday after I finially finished packing, it was just playing the waiting game again, I think I hate that more than I hate packing. Friday dinner was soo hard, thye gave me presents, a puzzle with photos and comments about my time with them, and some other things. We then just sat around to some extent all playing the waiting game together, my next host dad and brother then came and picked me up and took me to my new house. Leaving the Mai house was the hardest move yet, while I love all my host families, I have felt most at home in that family, and I really didn’t not want to leave them. I think what annoyes me most was that I had really wanted to spend more time with Yoshi, but since he returned we have both been busy with school and whatnot, and school holidays start tomorrow. The other this that kinda hurt is the fact that it would have been very culturally inappropriate to hug them goodbye. And while I know I will see them again leaving there house and not living with them anymore hurt/s.

No comments: